The medicine ball is a great bit of kit, it is so versatile! Below is a great full body workout compiled of my favourite medicine ball exercises for golf, if you don’t have a medicine ball I highly recommend that you get one, you can find one of my favourites and least expensive in this amazon link – Gold Coast Professional 3KG-10KG Double Handle Grip Medicine Ball – For Weights Training Exercise Fitness MMA Boxing | Free 2 Year Warranty
So here is the workout!
1. Explosive Power – Medicine Ball Slam!
These are as fun as they sound and look!
- Stand with feet just outside shoulder width holding the medicine ball in both hands.
- Extend your body upwards as you reach as high as possible with the med ball.
- Slam the med ball as hard as you can into the ground!
- Aim to slam the med ball so it bounces straight back up and you can catch it on the bounce.
3-4 sets of 8 reps
2. Full Body Strength – Squat to Press
- Stand in your normal squat stance with the med ball in both hands, resting on your chest (like a goblet squat)
- Squat down maintaining a neutral spine and keeping your chest up.
- As you push back up and almost reach the start position, begin pressing the med ball overhead finishing fully extended.
- Return to the start position.
3 sets of 15 reps
3. Upper Body Strength – Rolling Press-up
- Start in press-up position but with one hand on the med ball.
- Perform a press-up in this position and then roll the med ball towards the other hand.
- Receive the med ball with the other hand and perform another press-up
3 sets of 8-12 reps depending on current strength levels (reps are per press-up not per side unless your strength permits)
4. Shoulder & Full Body Bracing – Front Raise
- Stand with feet shoulder width and med ball in both hands, arms straight.
- Brace your whole body as you raise the med ball, still with extended arms
- Stop when you reach shoulder height or a couple of inches past
- Slowly return to the start position.
3 sets of 12 reps
5. Core Rotational Strength – Low to High Wood Chop
This is basically an upper body rotation with the med ball and chest aligned at all times, going from low to high.
- Stand with feet shoulder width, med ball in both hands, arms extended.
- Squat slightly and rotate to the right and face your chest slightly downwards, keep the med ball in front of your chest.
- Keeping your arms extended and the med ball in front of your chest, rotate and extend your legs as you bring the med ball round and up.
- End with the med ball above shoulder level still in front of your chest and rotated fully to the left
3 sets of 12 reps per side
6. Abdominal Strength – Med Ball Crunch
- Lay on your back with med ball in both hands, arms fully extended above your shoulders and legs in the air, bent to form 90 degree angle.
- Maintain extended arms as you crunch up, hold for a moment and return to start
3 sets of 15 reps
This workout is guaranteed to get your heart pounding and strengthen your whole body with one piece of kit! Perform 3 times per week with at least one rest day between workouts for best results.
Watch the video version of this post on YouTube here and don’t forget to subscribe to the channel!
Give it a try and then leave a comment below to let me know how you got on!
If you liked this then make sure to Subscribe to the Method Golf Fitness mailing list so you never miss an article plus get 3 FREE Golf Workouts as a thank you and subscriber exclusive content!
Like Method Golf Fitness on facebook and follow on twitter and instagram for workout videos, posts and motivation – all linked at the bottom or to the side of this page.
If you have any requests for topics or questions please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below or contact me on social media, I am always happy to help!
Golfer and gym goer. I enjoy helping people achieve their golfing goals by providing exercises and workouts to improve performance and giving people insights into my own golf training.